Last Updated: 05/24/19
- When sentencing a DWI offense, the court must determine which of six levels of punishment to impose (ranging from Aggravated Level One (most serious) to Level Five (least serious).
- The applicable level for sentencing is based on the presence and number of grossly aggravating factors or, if there are none, the presence and number of any aggravating and mitigating factors.
The following implied consent offenses are sentenced under G.S. 20-179 rather than structured sentencing:
- G.S. 20-138.1 (impaired driving);
- G.S. 20-138.2 (impaired driving in a commercial vehicle); and
- Second or subsequent conviction of:
To review the applicable sentencing laws and their effective dates, see the related entry on Sentencing: DWI Punishment Grids.
You must be logged in to see the PDF associated with this article.